Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Free 5-Day Challenge - Day 6: Yang/Yin Yoga Flow Active Recovery for Mindful Strength-Building with Marina

Whether you’re looking for active recovery movement or just looking for a gentler, low-impact workout, this Yang-Yin yoga flow offers you the best of both worlds!

Day 6: Yang/Yin Yoga Flow Active Recovery for Mindful Strength-Building with Marina

The first (or Yang) half of our practice today will incorporate low-impact movements and posture holds, engaging the muscles to build a little strength and actively increase your mobility. This flow is not strenuous on the body, but will warm your body throughout so that you will feel ready to open and release during the seated and reclined portion of our practice. After a quick water break, we will enter the second half of this workout, the Yin-inspired section, and will explore a series of static postures intended to lengthen and release stiff joints and tense muscles, passively increasing your mobility and flexibility. Modifications are offered throughout the practice and in the workout description below the video; as always, please feel free to add or take away anything that doesn’t serve your body and make this practice your own. Yang-Yin practices are some of my favorites to take, because the seated and reclined stretches after a shortened Power or Vinyasa flow feel extra yummy in my body! I hope you find the same deliciousness in yours! 

In addition to Yang-Yin yoga flows feeling amazing, I have personally found them to be an excellent active recovery tool, particularly after an intense, strength-focused workout. So let’s talk about the importance of active recovery. Common questions I often get from students are: 

•  “What is the purpose of active recovery and how does it differ from a rest day?”
  • “When should I take an active recovery day and when should I take an actual rest day?” 

Let’s begin with defining “active recovery” : According to a study published by the National Library of Medicine, active recovery is the “working [of] the same or different muscle groups from those which were active during fatiguing exercise.” Active recovery workouts typically include low-impact movements that are not as strenuous on the body as the movements you would take in a typical workout. While everyone has their own definition of a “rest day”, let’s define a rest day as little to no intentional movement, for the sake of better understanding the benefits of active recovery. 

So with both of those terms defined, let’s discuss the purpose and benefits of active recovery movement. Research on the benefits of active recovery is extensive, and while I couldn’t possibly mention and discuss all of the benefits here, a few of the perks include improved circulation, which can expedite muscle recovery/rebuilding and decreased lactic acid build-up + soreness. Sitting or lying down for extended periods of time after a rigorous workout can actually exacerbate your post-workout symptoms and extend the body’s recovery process. 

To answer the second question is a lot more difficult, as this answer will vary depending on the individual and a variety of other factors. For myself, I view movement the same way I view food, water and oxygen; it’s simply a necessity. Does this mean I complete a torturous workout everyday and never miss a beat? No, of course not (I went through that phase of my life and trust me when I say it didn’t last long, and it stopped being fun very quickly)! It simply means that I try to make the conscious choice to move everyday, and to be intentional about the days I choose not to move. I understand that for some, there are extra considerations to take when deciding what is best for your body, so I always advise that you consult and listen to a medical professional that you trust. However, ultimately, you are the expert on your own body, and intentional movement is a great way to continue getting to know your ever-changing body. 

I hope you enjoy this practice, and if you would like to reference the study I mentioned above, you can check the journal out here: Comparison of Two Different Modes of Active Recovery on Muscles Performance. . .

Let me know in the comments below, what your favorite part of this workout was, and what you would like to see next! 

With love + light, 

Marina