Neighbourhood cleanup

Yesterday, as part of the 2-week Stress Redux Challenge there was an altruism excercise on my schedule, and I decided to go to a weekly neighbourhood cleanup group in my city.

I joined them a few months ago in the summer, the goal is to free public spaces (a park, playground, parking lot, riverbank...) from litter that people leave there. I don't always make it because of my work schedule, but yesterday I decided to make it a priority, and I'm glad I did.

The photo is the result of a one hour cleanup with 12 volunteers. We managed to cover a big area which felt very good, but at the same time it's quite depressing. There is just so much trash everywhere! And the more you look, the more you see. It's unbelievable what we do to nature and our surroundings, and it actually makes me quite angry that we even produce so much non-reusable material.

Sometimes it's also just sad when you find stuff like used syringes because it reminds me that there are many people out there that have a much less privileged life than I do.

Anyway, long ramble, I'm glad I could spend a useful hour of my life, thanks to a small nudge from a FB challenge 🙂