Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New FB Plus Video: Power Yoga for Seal Pose — with Tutorial!

Learn + develop the building blocks to work into Seal Pose, or just explore a variety of tools to add to your tool-box for strengthening your core and increasing total spinal mobility and flexibility. Whatever your intention is, this practice is best suited for ALL levels as a warm-up, cool-down or an add-on to another workout. 

Power Yoga for Seal Pose

As with every Posture Work-Up practice, the tools offered in this video are meant to be used over time and with consistency; I can’t guarantee that you will be able to access full, advanced Seal Pose by the end of this practice, however I can promise that these tools will help you to build the necessary strength, flexibility, and mobility to not just eventually access full Seal, but to maintain complete spinal health. Please do not try to force your body into any shape, and work the tools as well as the technique break-down for our peak posture, with intention. If the exercises are not enough to help you warm through the body, feel free to take another workout to warm-up properly for your body; please make sure to take the time to work through the counterposes offered briefly at the end of this practice to decompress the spine as well. 

Similar to Seal Pose, we have explored the break-down of Wheel Pose, another intense heart-opener and low-back compression pose. Unlike Seal Pose, Wheel is considered an inversion because we get the hips over the heart; most students who really struggle with Wheel Pose, find Seal Pose and the work-up to Seal much more accessible. If Wheel Pose is your end goal, the tools provided to build your Seal Pose can directly translate to strengthening and deepening your Wheel; you can even think of Seal Pose as a stepping stone to Wheel. The best part about working into Seal Pose is that you can receive many of the same benefits that you would in Wheel, and you don’t have to be able to touch your feet to your head in order to receive them–the simplest version of Seal is just as much of benefit to you as the fully evolved version. So, what are some of these benefits? According to the Ekhart Yoga Journal . . .

• Seal Pose can help to restore the natural curvature of the low back (lumbar spine), which tends to bow and stiffen with repeated poor posture while sitting and/or standing. 
  • Seal Pose can help to detoxify the kidneys, specifically the adrenal glands. After some time in this pose, you might notice that you have to urinate. The slight compression on the adrenal glands helps stimulate + regulate their natural activities of hormone production for metabolism, immune system, blood pressure + stress response. 
  • Promotes connective tissue regeneration in the sacral area.
  • Can stimulate the thyroid gland (if you tilt your head back), which plays a significant role in hormonal regulation and metabolism. 

I hope that this practice leaves you feeling more open in your back, and stronger throughout your core! Let me know in the comments below what other postures you would like to break down and explore next! 

With love + light, 

Marina