Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New: Mat Pilates for Mobility - Recovery Workout for Lower Body & Core

This morning I’ve got a new Pilates workout for you:

Mat Pilates for Mobility - Recovery Workout for Lower Body & Core

This workout is great for beginners, or it can make for a restorative active recovery workout. Rest is definitely important - you know by now that this is essentially our anthem (one of them, anyways). But sometimes, even on days when you aren’t doing a structured or intense workout, some light movement can feel really nice. If you are working out on your rest days (i.e. not taking rest days), it’s important to make sure that the kinds of workouts you do won't interrupt your body’s healing process from your previous workouts - no HIIT, no lifting, nothing intense enough to rile your nervous system or really fire up your lungs and muscles. 

Remember, be nice to your body. Exercise isn’t about punishment or getting the absolute very most from yourself during the workout, it’s about using the workout to improve your quality of life, your life outside of working out. That requires balance, and sometimes discipline - whether that means discipline for showing up for your workout, or discipline to take some rest days.

You won’t need any equipment (aside from an optional exercise mat), so you can take this workout with you anywhere. 

I know I’ve said it a thousand times, but workouts like this one gave me my mobility back. I don’t mean that I can jump higher or run further, I mean the precious daily movements that we so take for granted - things like putting on my own shoes, picking something up off of the floor, or walking up a gentle slope. Always talk to your doctor, because each of us has a million unique variables that need to be considered. But I will be forever grateful for these exercises (and the field of physical therapy) for what they did for my hips, knees and back. Never underestimate the slow, deliberate, often times surprisingly humbling exercises. Don’t wait for an injury or problem to focus on the important basics! Be proactive with your health.

Speaking of "anthems" (^waaay up there) - what would you say are the other FB anthems? Things you've heard us repeat so many times that it might be engraved into your mind? "Listen to your body" comes to mind, as does something along the lines of "who in the world wrote this routine?! This is mean!" If you can think of others, please share. 

I hope you have a good day, thank you for working out with us!

Kelli