Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Plus Workout: Mobility Exercises for the Mid-back

Dear Blenders,

Let’s continue our important journey to better spine health with today’s prehab routine: 

Exercises for a Stronger Mid Back

What is so important about the mid back? Well, for starters, the mid back (also known as the thoracic spine) connects the upper and lower parts of the spinal column. All movement that affects the neck and low back will also require help from the mid back, too! Without mobility in this area, you’re at risk for developing neck/shoulder pain, low back problems, or rib cage dysfunction. 

This workout is intended for everyone but especially those who sit for long periods of time, suffer from neck/shoulder/low back problems, or lack movement in their torso. The routine emphasizes thoracic rotation, but there’s a good amount of bending, extending, and tilting required, too. Of note - you’ll need access to a wall in order to do the final mobility circuit. 

Mid back exercises were an absolute game changer in eliminating my migraines and shoulder impingement. I combine foam rolling sessions, core activation exercises, and moves like these into my nightly routine for the biggest effect. If I had to pick one exercise to do during my lunch break, it is most definitely thoracic extenders (thoracic extension) to address computer posture. Hope this helps answer of your questions about the mid back, and I look forward to hearing your reviews on Part 2 of our mini-series on spine health! 

- Kayla