HKS (Healthy, Kind Support) Accountability Group October 24th 🍠

Hello Blendfriends, welcome to a new week. After taking most of the week off from FB workouts (because of fatigue but mostly life getting in the way), I've just rescheduled my challenge. This morning started a little rough, with my fitness bugaboo, HIIT, with pushups even. Hence today's quote:

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." (Samuel Beckett)

Anecdote: as a person with a naturally sunny disposition, my first read of any Samuel Beckett, at sixteen, was like getting a message from another galaxy. A rather depressed galaxy, but a fascinating one. But I digress. I actually picked up this quote from a BBC article on learning from failure. Apparently we don't learn very well from our own failure, because they threaten us and we avoid thinking about them. But some of the strategies the article mentioned were interesting, and made me think of us here. Maybe not the one about narrating your failure in the third person ("Sharon had to drop to knee pushups, then negatives today," hmm), but the bit about motivation fit. Researchers chose students who had problems staying motivated in school to advise younger students about staying motivated. Those "advisor" students then stayed more motivated. They stopped feeling bad about what they did "wrong" and started being proud of their coping strategies. I think we do this all the time here. We check in, we support each other, and we're all advisors to each other, so instead of losing a week of workout, we recognize the importance of rest. Instead of saying "I can't even do a knee pushup today", I say, I found a way to modify. So, any challenging bits you'd like to advise us about?

Other than working out (yay) I'm getting ready to go work at the office. I have a delicious burrito (sweet potato, chicken, rice, salsa, black beans etc.) for lunch. A good lunch always makes the day a little nicer. It's cooler days, so I'm thinking I'll make minestrone tonight, and maybe that végépâté I've been nattering on about lately. What do you make for lunch? I love a good soup in the fall, but sandwiches are so practical. Do you mix it up? I have to, or I get terribly bored with my lunches 😋

Well, I'd better get going, the office awaits. Have a fabulous Monday!