Perspiration Pals 21 October 2022 πŸŽ¨πŸ΄σ §σ ’σ ³σ £σ ΄σ ΏπŸšƒπŸ¦†πŸ„

Hello cat people! And dog people. Also birds, fish, hamsters, wombats, and dragonflies. That's a non-inclusive list; all animals and their people are welcome here. So is animal spam. Ahem. That is an invitation (request?) to please share your animal spam.

Anyway, how're yous? Whatcha up to? Any plans for the day? Do they include food and exercise? Me, I really need to do some work. I know how to live it up on a Friday night. That's the joy of flexible hours: when you don't do anything on Thursday, you should probably do it another time. That's ok. I'd really like to do some exercise tonight too, but I'm not sure what. Preferably a run, but we're due for a thunderstorm and a lot of rain, so maybe that's not a great idea. And my triceps are still! destroyed from a workout I did on Monday. I was so proud that I upped my weights, and then couldn't lift my arms to blow my nose after. So maybe some lower body insead. If my arms agree to lift the weights, that is. Maybe I'll go for that run after all. I used to go in the rain all the time, but that was when I could still run without glasses. I don't like singing about raindrops keep falling on my glasses.

I'll leave you with a big study that came out this week. Some researchers wanted to know if certain genetic variants helped people survive plague or not, so they took DNA samples from skeletons buried just before, during, or just after a plague outbreak 700 years. They found a couple hundred genetic variants that were associated with plague survival, but one in particular concurred a 40% survival advantage, which is insane. And so the frequency of people with this variant increased after the plague outbreak, because the ones who didn't have it died. So that in itself is neat, but the thing I find especially wild is that this particular genetic variant is associated with autoimmune disease. Of which I have 3. But I've never had plague. Or covid. Several people on the side of my family that is plagued (ha) with autoimmune diseases have never had covid either, even when other people in the same house did. Of course this is a ridiculous oversimplification of how immune systems work but ahhh I think it's interesting so lemme chat your eyes off.

Ok my darlings, hope you all have an easy day, and that we see you in the comments below!