Perspiration Pals 7 October 2022 🦦↔️🔹🚂🪕

Hello my cute little starfish! It's so good to see you all again! I hope you're doing well, or will be soon. Tell me, how's life? I want to hear all the things. Including the bit about exercise and eating. Will or have either of those activities made an appearance on your agenda today? I just had a banana and have since moved on to a handful of almonds. Not sure what my workout will entail, but I would like some exercise. My arm is feeling quite a lot better today, so maybe I'll (finally) do some upper body. Or maybe I'll go for a run (probably this one). It poured down rain earlier, news said half of October's rain in less than an hour, but my street isn't flooded and I can see blue skies outside.

In life news, I've been listening to that old-fashioned contraption called the radio, which I dug out the last time the internet went out for several days. It does this at least once a year. Right now I'm listening to Alice Cooper's radio show, which I did not know still existed or that we got in this country. I used to listen to it when it first came out, I think I was in uni. My housemate said she also used to listen to it while doing her homework when she was in high school. Funny to think that, when we both lived in different places, years before either one of us had any idea of moving to this city and were unaware of the other's existence, we were listening to the the same radio show. Anyway, Alice Cooper seems to be playing a lot more Alice in Chains than he used to. I suppose when he first started broadcasting, Alice in Chains was far too modern for a classic rock show. Alice in Chains is Mr Sweetie's favourite band, and I used to live a few blocks from where the lead singer lived before he died of a drug overdose. Ughhhhh doesn't make me feel old at all...

Anyway, back to business. We have a (totally optional) quiz today! I've been doing a lot of reading lately about basal metabolic rate (BMR) for academic reasons, and (un)fortunately this lends itself to relevant topics. (I got some of these factoids from Giles Yeo, who is a prominent scientist at Cambridge, one from Sarah Berry, a professor at King's College London, and a couple others from...elsewhere.)

1) All other things being equal, what happens to your BMR if you gain a lot of weight? (goes down/goes up/stays the same)

2) A Calorie is defined as the amount of energy it takes to rasie 1L of water 1*C at sea level when the food is burned in a bomb calorimeter. 1 Calorie = ~4.2 kJ. By that definition, you could get 2000 Calories from drinking 20L of water. But our bodies are not bomb calorimeters and the story is quite a lot more complicated.. So If you eat 100 calories of sugar, how many of those calories do you absorb? (ie what is the caloric availability of sugar). I mean pure sugar, like table sugar, not stuff with fiber in it.

3) If you eat 100 calories of fat, how many of those calories do you get?

4) And how about protein, how many calories of protein do you absorb if you eat 100 calories of the stuff?

5) Which has more caloric availability (ie which food will you absorb more calories from): 100 calories of whole almonds or 100 calories of ground almonds?

6) Which has more caloric availability: 100 calories of corn on the cob or 100 calories of corn tortilla?

7) Which has more caloric availability: 100 calories of raw celery or 100 calories of cooked celery?

8) If you take some people, same sex and age, same height and weight and fitness level, and stick them in a lab and measure their BMR, how much variation (in calories) do you get? As in, all things being equal, what is the difference in BMR in calories that scientists find there exists between someone on the low BMR end and someone on the high BMR end?

All right my darlings, I think I'd better leave it there before you all run off screaming. Happy Friday!

Edited