Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New FB Plus Video: Power Yoga for Traditional Headstand

Are you not sure where to take your practice next and looking for a fun new challenge? Or maybe you’re just looking to build your core strength? Either way this short Power Yoga Practice has the tools and the challenge you’re looking for!

Power Yoga for Traditional Headstand

Per your requests, I am beyond excited to share a posture work-up with you that gets our feet off the ground! Inversions are a fun and huge part of my personal practice, so I love that I get to share a pose that I am so passionate about with all of you. Furthermore, teaching inversions is something new to me, so creating this practice was a fun challenge! Don’t worry, though: when I say I’m new to teaching inversions, I simply mean that I’m new to clear + succinct queuing (and still very much in my practice of it). . .I promise I have a deep understanding of the kramas (baby steps to build headstand), the proper alignment/technique, + of course what NOT to do when you’re first trying to get your feet above your head. ;-)

The first half of this practice is dedicated to postures + movements that will help you to lengthen + release your low-back and hamstrings, as well as engage your entire core. I find that these are the most important areas to warm-up before attempting Traditional Headstand, however, I know many students who prefer to take a full-body workout prior to playing with their inversions, because they find benefit in having all their muscles fully warmed and engaged. While this practice focuses on strengthening your core + upper-body, do not be fooled! Traditional Headstand utilizes every muscle in the body, so I recommend taking this practice as an add-on to another total-body workout that doesn’t leave you feeling completely exhausted or drained. 

However, if inversions are not a part of your practice, you can still find benefit in the variety of tools we will use to prepare our bodies for getting upside down. This can be a great stand-alone core workout, or a great warm-up/cool-down. Whether or not you choose to take flight, this practice is best suited for those who are familiar with the pose names, since we move rather quickly to begin, not taking the time to break down the technique/alignment for the postures in our flow. The movements, however, are relatively simple/straightforward with foundational transitions (modifications for all levels are available as well), so this could be a fun challenge for those practitioners just starting out. With that being said, when we reach the portion of our practice where we begin to break down the kramas (baby steps) of Traditional Headstand, we will move slowly and intentionally. This portion of the practice is meant to meet you where you are! Do not feel like you have to keep up with me, or force anything that doesn’t feel right in your body yet. I walk through each part of building your Traditional Headstand so that I can address all levels; once you find a step in the process that is challenging for you, stay with that step and work on it until you feel ready to move on. This pose requires a lot of strength, so please don’t feel discouraged if you cannot master it right away. With time, patience + consistent work with the tools offered in this video, you will get stronger and will be able to find flight! 

Whether you choose to leave the ground or not today, I hope you find something new + playful in your practice, and that this challenge leaves you feeling strong + empowered!