Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New FB Plus Video: Power Yoga for Wheel Pose

Ever wanted to learn Wheel Pose but didn’t think you had the flexibility for it? Let’s explore some tools that will help you to strengthen and mobilize your upper body and core, and play with building the foundational steps towards Wheel Pose! 

Power Yoga for Wheel Pose: Upper Body and Core with Posture Tutorial

Wheel Pose is an intense heart-opener and inversion! While Wheel Pose utilizes the whole body, your spinal flexibility, shoulder mobility + core strength will be challenged, primarily. Don’t let that discourage you, however! This practice is suited for all-levels, as we will explore a variety of tools to help you increase your strength, mobility + flexibility in the aforementioned areas. These tools are not just great for helping you to work towards building your wheel-pose, but they are intended to support your musculoskeletal health long-term. So, if you find yourself not mastering Wheel Pose right away (this is completely normal, I promise the tools work and that you are not broken), continue to utilize these movements and work from where you’re at today; over time and with practice + patience, you will get stronger, increase your mobility/flexibility, improve your joint health, and possibly master Wheel Pose. :-) Like I mentioned before, these tools are designed to support your holistic well-being long-term; so even if Wheel Pose is not in your practice, or not a posture that spikes your curiosity, there are tons of benefits to this practice and you don’t have to take the peak posture at the end to receive those benefits. 

This practice is shorter than a typical Power Flow, and is best used as a warm-up, cool-down or add-on to another workout. All of the tools offered in this video are intended to prepare us for Wheel Pose–our peak pose that we will build to and explore the steps of working towards at the end of the practice–so that we can move into the posture from a supported and grounded place in our body. However, this video is more like a collection and exploration of these tools, instead of a typical power/vinyasa flow. With that being said, many students prefer to be completely warm before attempting a complex inversion such as Wheel, so taking a full Power/Vinyasa flow, or again, another total-body workout might be the move for you. 

I hope that you find joy, play + curiosity throughout this practice. This is the first of several posture tutorial videos, as well as the first video to differ from my typical style; let me know what you think, and if you would like to see a more advanced version of this video, with how to integrate Wheel Pose into your own flow. Also let me know what other postures you would like to work towards/break-down!