Perspiration Pals 9 September 2022

Hello my cute little ladybugs! How are you all today? I hope you're well and have a sunshiny weekend ahead of you. Metaphorical sunshine can include drizzly days indoors, snuggled up with a cat and a book. And if you're not well, that's ok too. Life is not all glitter and rainbows, so please don't feel pressured to pretend like it is. Big hug to everyone who's been in struggletown lately, which seems to be a few of us.

On that topic, it was R U OK Day here on Thursday, which was set up in 2009 by a man who lost his father to suicide. The point is supposed to bring awareness to mental illness and suicide by asking your mates R U Ok? But it seems mostly to be used though by businesses to give their employees free coffee or sausages or whatever, and has been criticised because ongoing and complicated conditions do not just show up on one convenient day of the year. And no one wants to talk about other psychiatric conditions like bipolar, schizophrenia, or personality disorders, or even severe depression. Also, no one's ever asked me if I'm OK on R U OK day. Every year at uni they have cookie decorating or bread making or something else that is ridden with gluten, and I want to say well, I was ok until you all got together and had fun excluding me...although I don't actually know any of the people involved and probably wouldn't have turned up anyway. So instead I like to send a text to an unsuspecting victim "OMG are you ok???" This year it went to Mr Sweetie, who was taken by surprise, despite me telling him 4 days earlier that I would do it.

All that to say that folks there is no shame in being not ok. Happens to the best of us. I've spent a lot of time not being ok, but I'm ok now. It's ok to talk about icky feelings and uncomfortable topics, and if you wanna talk about that here that is just fine. And if you don't, that's ok too. PPals is not a substitute for medical care, but we're a supportive bunch and that's important too.

In other news, the Queen died. Not only was she the Queen of England, but she was also Queen of 14 other countries, including Australia. I wasn't sure what would happen when she died - would society shut down? Looks like that hasn't happened, and the school across the street was open, although to be fair I have not left the house today. I suppose our flags will be at half mast, but flag flying is not a popular activity here and I can't think of the last time I saw one. I thought the Queen was so cute, and also looked quite a bit like my grandmother. But regardless of what you think of the royal family, or my grandmother, I don't think it's controversial to say that the Queen was more aesthetically appealing that old jug ears, who is now going to be on our money. Though I rarely see money anymore. Just as well.

Some royal facts: the Queen's birthday was in April, but in my state we celebrated (meaning got a day off work) in June. In Western Australia it's celebrated in September, and October in Queensland. Because of the different dates, which I have no explanation for, it was a state, not federal holiday, which means my university makes us work through all of them. Also. The Queen's father was King George VI, but he was actually named Albert. But he went by George when he took the throne because Queen Victoria said no one by the name of Albert should take the place of her Albert (awww). Also. The American patriotic song My Country Tis of Thee (I'm sure all the Americans will know this one) is written to the melody of the British National Anthem God Save the Queen. So when I was listening to the news last night and the Queen's death was announced, and then they played God Save the Queen...guess which lyrics were rolling through my head. And are now stuck there, which seems downright sacrilege given the circumstance. Also. In Australia, a Republican is someone who thinks Australia should separate itself completely from Britain and the monarchy and become a republic. It is not a political party. More confusingly, one of the conservative parties here is called the Liberals. And a publican is a guy that owns a pub. Last fact: as a kid, I had a rooster named King Charles. He was a little tiny bantam thing with a lot of personality. Whenever someone would come over and I'd introduce them to King Charles, my mother would quickly explain that he was named after my Poppa, Charles, not the guy in England!! (And then give her opinion of him.) And people would say um, ok? I didn't know who Prince (now King) Charles was or why she kept saying this...to be honest I'm still not sure why she insisted on pointing this out.

Enough of my ramblings, food and exercise! Tell me the things! I did a tough lower body routine last night, with some core tacked on, and I am sore. May still do arms today. And I'm having leftover (pulse) pasta, with a veg heavy sauce. Goodness me I almost forgot to mention food and exercise.

All right my lovelies, before I let you go there is one last announcement. Which I just read about on Ashley's HKS post. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LARA!!!! We (I think I can speak for everyone here) are so glad to know you and call you our friend. I hope you have a fabulous birthday and overall good day with cake at every meal.

Edited