Perspiration Pals 1 September 2022

Hello Pals! How are you? Autumn is here! I know, I know I already expressed my happiness yesterday also it’s supposed to be raining but it's not but it’s the first day of school so I’m bracing myself to leave home and get on a bus… and then traffic jam! Yum! Anyway, that’s not today’s topic.

Yesterday I told you about the origin of your lovely new dumbbells and today I’m going to regale you with interesting things about gyms. I know, most of us don’t exercise in gyms but a lot of people do. Let’s look at a very brief history of the gym. The word ‘gymnasium’ originates from the Greek ‘gymnos’ meaning naked. Yes, we already talked about naked sports but as far as I can remember we were rather skeptical about the benefits of exercising naked. Moving on from the Greek demi-gods exercising in their birthday suit for long, long centuries, millennia even, people were too busy dying in wars, viral and/or bacterial infections, hanging from the gallows because they owned a black cat and a broom, or merely working too much without having anything to eat at all and I could go on but I won’t because finally in the 19th century started appearing in Europe, a man called Robert J. Roberts (parents didn’t really bother with a list of possible names) coined the term ‘body building’. In the first half of the 20th century people were not in the mood to open gyms (OK, not quite true because there was a rather famous one in the US opened by Jack LaLanne in 1939) but ever since the 60s there were more and more health clubs and fitness centres and now we have all kinds of equipment and of course the internet making it possible to work out in your own living room. Feel free to add other interesting facts if you can because this was a very short and incomplete history of the gym, I must admit.

As for doing exercise at home, my crampy achy rhomboid gave me permission to work out a little in the morning but I’ve decided to buy a decent pillow. Gone are the days (not yet but they will be) when I woke up with various muscle cramps in my neck and shoulders.

Anyway, I must dash now, I’ll get back to you as soon as I can. Please chat amongst yourselves and don’t let anybody sit in the corner.