R
Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Strength vs bulk

Hello everyone! I have been with FB on and off since first discovering them back in 2016 or 2017. Besides the workouts on here, I'm an avid hiker, mountain biker, and trail runner. I also love yoga and used to teach it some years ago. I love dancing too, but its not a consistent practice at the moment.

After moving to a mountainous area for the first time (yay!!), I've kicked up my workout habits by a lot. Every day I have done something active outdoors, and complimented it with FB workouts when I'm not too sore. Its a bit of a personal boot camp goal that I have been looking forward to and am excited to be embarking on. I was forced to take a few months of a hiatus because of a broken hand. Between that forced break (pun not intended!) and being inspired by the outdoors, my activity level is through the roof compared to before.

I have a goal of losing weight and becoming stronger and toned, so I've been lifting heavier than I used to. My pants had become tighter during the hiatus, so slimming down is just as important to me as getting stronger.

In looking for some inspiration online, I just came across an article from a "fitness blogger" that said if women lift heavier or work harder than a certain threshold, they will get bulky.

Is this true, or a myth? Will I get bulky if I lift heavier in order to feel stronger and increase my endurance? (If true, what is the best approach to reaching my goals?)

Many thanks for reading this and for taking the time to respond. Happy working out to all of you!

:)