HKS (Healthy, Kind Support) Accountability Group August 18th

Hello dear HKS friends.

"Gewenst gedrag belonen." - My dad

This quote is hard to translate exactly from Dutch to English, but it means as much as "reward wanted/desired behaviour". My dad said this often, when people would display courteous behaviour. I try to remember this when someone does something kind, even if it's basic decency like a car not running me over while I use a crosswalk. It doesn't cost much energy to lift your hand to thank the driver and you'll probably both feel better. (Though, I tend to be a bit grumpy in daily life so this doesn't come natural to me, but I try to use my dad as inspiration.)

Basically, I just wanted to honor my dad today as it's the 1st anniversary of his death. It's crazy how a year has passed since that day. I remember it very clearly, but to this day haven't been able to write much about it in my diary. Today I feel hollow and sad. I will visit my mom later today and we will make roti, a dish my father liked to cook. There is a visit to the urn planned later, with family. The pic is from August 18th, 2021, early in the morning when I came home and my friend Tep stopped by to comfort me. 😻

Don't let this hold you back in posting here, though! I would like to know how you are doing.

Have you been able to get in a workout, or some other form of exercise? Maybe you're taking a rest day or having a tough day, in which case, I hope you feel better soon. Feel free to post about it here, or about something positive that happened.

Little positive notes: the receptionist at the dentist was friendly to me. My teeth are cleaned thoroughly again. I encountered a cat who miaowed at me and let me pet him/her. My coach and my grief therapist both send me a supportive message today.

I hope you have a good day. 🌼

Edited