Perspiration Pals, 5 August πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸŒΎπŸ™€πŸ’πŸ§…πŸ₯¬πŸ 

Hello my cute little echidnas! Welcome to this rainy and chilly, but not too chilly, Friday. It has warmed up considerably in the last week or so, and we have clearly turned the corner towards spring, which means I can no longer leave my leftovers out on the stove for several days at a time and still keep them at refrigeration temperature. Just another thing to complain about, really. I've had some rather bad insomnia lately, I mean worse than normal, and it's making it hard to work out. Yesterday I put my workout clothes on with the intention of getting to it in a bit when I had a little extra oomph in me, after some more tea, and then...well folks, that extra oomph never came and neither did the workout. I actually forgot I was wearing my workout clothes, and then when I put my pjs back on to crawl into bed to lie there for several hours without sleeping, I realised I hadn't worked out and felt very very irritated with myself. I didn't work out the day before that for similar reasons either, although I said on here that I would. I didn't. Let's try again today. I'm not sure what I'm doing but I'd really like to do something.

On to the next topic. Today I have a nutritional pop quiz for you of sorts. If you want. You don't have to. You can check in with whatever you feel like checking in with. Or not at all. When I agreed to have a weekly spot hosting, I thought I would take inspiration from Ivett and present you with interesting facts. Unfortunately I've not been able to think of a single interesting fact. Until now. Well, I hope this is interesting to someone at least. I dunno how Ivett comes up with so many topics to talk about, but she's a smart smart lady.

Ok. Some of us grew up with this classy food pyramid that the USDA kindly provided us in 1992, to tell us how many servings of each food group we should eat per day. Telling us to eat 6 - 11 servings of grains every day has been accused of making us fat, and anyway if I ate any servings of most of the things in that bottom panel I'd be in a very bad state indeed. It's since been changed several times, and I have no idea what the USDA is doing these days. The point is, we all know about food groups: grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and some other tasty stuff that I'm ignoring today. But. How are things classified botanically? You can clearly see a tomato in the vegetable section of that sneaky food pyramid, but botanically, a tomato is a fruit. Not only is it a fruit, but it is also a berry. What?! It's true! Let's see what else is a lie:

Which of the following is a fruit (pick 1 or more): zucchini, broccoli, olives, green beans, jalapeΓ±os, turnips, wheat, celery, corn

And which of the following are true berries: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, bananas, apples, eggplant, pumpkin, grapes

Which of the following is a seed: rice, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pineapples, lentils, potatoes, kidney beans, cacao

Which is a nut: almonds, cashews, peanuts, acorns, chestnuts, pistachios, coconut

And which of the following are true grains: rice, corn, amaranth, buckwheat, bulgar, quinoa, wheat berries, flax

All right, I hope that was fun and enlightening and that no one has run off screaming or else fallen out of their chair because their eyes glazed over. Have a tolerable day, folks.

Edited