Perspiration Pals 20 July 2022

Hello Pals! Happy Moon Landing Anniversary! (53th) And today happens to be my brother’s birthday too. I shouldn’t be at work, really. I should be celebrating with my brother eating a huge moon cake. What’s moon cake I hear you ask. It’s similar to my Earth cake but it looks like the Moon. If you’re confused, don’t worry, it’s me, not you. Anyway, today’s topic is not Moon related, I promise. We already exercised on the Moon last week.

Let’s go back to the animal kingdom a little. (I’m still reading Extraordinary Insects by Anne Sverdrup-Thygeson) This is a fill-in-the-gap question. So aphids produce large amounts of sweet surplus liquid and some …… species provide bodyguard services in return for this substance. For the …., easy access to carbohydrates is so attractive that they happily, and aggressively, defend their herd of ‘sugar cows’ against anything that might even think of eating them. An …… colony can easily harvest 10–15 kilograms of sugar from aphids over a summer; some estimates go as high as 100 kilograms of sugar per year. Who are these little farmers? Oh, and by the way, they have also been found to ‘herd’ their cattle by restricting the aphids’ capacity to disperse to other plants. Sometimes they might even bite the wings off aphids...

Moving on to exercise, I did a 51-minute long kickboxing/abs routine with Daniel (One of my favourites. The routine, not Daniel. Or maybe Daniel too...) so just like the little creatures mentioned above, I need carbs. How about you? What are you up to exercise-wise?

PS, if I posted a picture or meme related to today’s question, it would’ve been too easy to answer and we don’t want that, do we? Oh no.

Oh, and I’ve just realised that mooncakes do exist but they don’t look like the Moon.