L

Summer Reading Goals

Hi all, Kelly's post today about checking-in on summer goals, prompted this post. I read a great deal for work, but increased work committments and caregiving have really decreased my pleasure reading. So I've made a goal to read 3 books this summer for fun.

My idea of fun books may not be yours : ) but here is the book I've just finished.

Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew Walker

Walker is an internationally respected sleep scientist and his book is full of data, stories, and illustrations that are incredibly interesting. I've treated cancer patients with sleep disturbances for years, and there was still so much for me to learn. It's accessible and has convinced me of two things.

1) I don't just need more sleep, I will benefit in multiple ways physically and emotionally from investing in better sleep.

2) I am rethinking my nightly glass of wine with dinner. Not so much from a sleep perspective, but in terms of memory and learning retention.

Next is Blood, Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton, and then Secondhand by Adam Minter. I heard Minter on a podcast and his books sounds fascintating!

What are you reading (or planning to read) this summer?