Posted in: FB Team / FB Team Posts

Checking in - Workouts, Summer, Garden

Good morning FB Family!

How is your week going so far? How are your workouts going? Are you following a program or challenge right now, or building your own program as you go?

I’ve been really enjoying my workouts lately, which is great news for designing new content and filming. My workouts have been a blend of strength, HIIT and cardio, with a trend towards play, and spontaneity - think randomly picking up a basketball mid workout and shooting for 10 minutes, bouts of dancing, 60 seconds of a round of medicine ball slams or kettlebell swings, 2 minutes jump rope, etc. I’m also working in fun/humbling/empowering balance and coordination work and a few different exercises that I would love to become better at or conquer over time.

My current focus of exercises that I’ve been working to reach or improve include: better Bulgarian split squats and pushups, a stronger wheel pose, and pistol squats (a ways to go on this one but I like having something to strive for). I’ve also been working in the garden a lot, which calls for lots of TLC in the form of stretching, foam rolling and basic moves that make for a strong foundation. Quite the mix! But it has me feeling physically strong, and mentally engaged.

Are there any exercises that you’re looking to be able to complete or improve on right now? Do you find that when you set goals, you set just one, or multiple so that you have more than one chance for a “victory”? I like having a range when I set goals - some that I know are reachable with a reasonable amount of time and effort, and others that feel like a stretch. Formal goals or not, do you have anything fun that are you currently working on?

Yesterday I just finished editing a new workout - Mellow Cardio for Days When You Don’t Wanna (Round 2). Judging by the reaction to the first round, it seems many of you can relate to the “don’t wanna” attitude every now and again. After I tackle the write up for that workout, I’ll need to edit this new intense lower body HIIT & Strength combo that kicked my butt in the best way when I filmed it. I’m feeling excited to build some new workouts for the next time I film - in fact, if you have some suggestions for what you would like to see next, please share and I’ll do my best to deliver!

After a record breaking cold and wet spring, the garden finally started to grow. Everything is running pretty late but we’ll be cutting way back on our grocery orders and bills soon with everything we’re growing. Here’s what’s in the garden right now: broccoli, sweet peas, cabbage, kale, lettuces, kohlrabi, watermelon, cantaloupe, zucchini, acorn squash, yakteen, pumpkin, blue squash, carrots, beets, tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, corn, celery, brussel sprouts, chamomile, dill, mint, basil, cilantro, lovage, lemon balm. This may or may not be an exhaustive list, and some of it might not make it, depending on how long our season ends up being. We’ll see! Very grateful to have this fingers-in-the-dirt hobby that calms my mind and sometimes even fills our bellies.

Loki is having his best summer ever (for the 10th consecutive year) and very much enjoying all of our shared outside time. He moves a lot slower these days but he still runs the trails like a hyperactive puppy, a big blond blur of flapping oversized ears and paws. He is a happy boy. He’s also an excellent gardening buddy; he’s always just a few feet away while we’re planning, planting, weeding, and watering (the attached pic is from a few weeks back before stuff started growing). Though as Daniel points out, he does take the occasional stroll directly through rows of seedlings and starts. The good company is worth it.

We have a lot of huge projects going on here at FB, related to workout videos, challenges and programs, meal plans, and site features and development. You’ll be seeing some of what the FB Team has been working on, at the end of this week. More releases of all kinds will follow, and as always, we’ll appreciate your feedback as to what you would like to see next.

I hope your workouts and your summer are going well! I hope you’re taking good care of yourselves, mentally and physically.

Kelli

Edited