HKS (Healthy, Kind Support) Accountability Group July 7th

Hello everyone.

No, not in France – the picture is from a vacation almost 2 years ago. I thought the flowers might lift your spirits. (Or, if you're like me, you're now sad. Sorry.)

“Anxiety happens when you think you have to figure everything out all at once. Breathe. You're strong. You got this. Take it day by day.” – Karen Salmansohn

Someone posted this quote below a YT video on anxiety and it resonated with me. Example from my own life: it’s summer, I want to do things, meet up with people, go to the city, see movies, visit a museum, have lunch, 🍨, wander around. But, I’m already exhausted after using public transport, panic has been creeping up randomly the last two weeks, and I have been feeling sick on and off – so you could say this isn’t the best time to fulfill my summer wishes. Then, I get frustrated because I feel like I need to do those things asap, and all at the same time, as it’s July. And I roll into another cycle of anxiety. So, a quote like the one above is a helpful reminder. 😬

Speaking of anxiety, I am trying to do some research myself – I’ve had lots of therapists tell me I need to work, work, work on my thoughts, manage them better, control them, bend them into something positive. I’m realizing more and more that this might not be the way to go, as the human brain is more complicated than that. So I’m trying to do exercises to tell my vagus nerve (which I never learned about in school – why not?) I am safe, and there’s no need to freak out. (Unless there’s a stranger on your balcony.) Sukie Baxter has some interesting videos, though I need to slow down the speed because she talks fast and as a non-native speaker, all the specific information is hard to digest at that speed. (Though I have to admit, shortly after a round of exercises to “rewire” my brain from anxiety… what do you think happened? I got extremely anxious! 😣

Ok, that’s it for now with the anxiety talk. I thought it might be interesting for people who are also dealing with it. I feel like I could live on YT watching videos and doing exercises as self-therapy ALL DAY. But, as there are so many videos, which to choose? This gives me… anxiety! 😂🥺

Now, for something completely different… what are you doing today? Tell me about your workout, self-care, possible desserts, encounters with fluffy animals, strange dreams (I had another one of those dreams where there’s chewing gum stuck on my teeth and I spend hours trying to scrape it off…???).

No FB workout for me again as I’m still not back to “normal”. I might consider a short walk, and of course the Y word.

Hope everyone has a low-stress day.