Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Free Workout: Quick Total Body Power Yoga Flow

Let’s challenge our strength + mobility as we build that internal fire! Leave your practice feeling rinsed, renewed and empowered! 

Quick Total Body Power Yoga

When planning this practice, I felt called to bring it back to the basics. I know for me the traditional Sun A’s and Sun B’s can get redundant and even boring; the deeper I dove into my physical yoga practice, the easier it became for me to slip into auto-pilot while taking movements I could do in my sleep. Then I remembered that yoga isn’t about chasing new poses and working to achieve the most advanced postures/transitions (while all of those things are fun, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with working towards a physical goal); yoga is about presence. To be here and now in this moment doesn’t require a super fun and challenging inversion, or some beautiful and elegant transition; to be here now only requires me to make the commitment to allow the present moment to be enough–even when the present moment feels uncomfortable. 

So I chose to teach this practice with foundational postures, and although the flow is quick, the speed of the practice moves at a beginner-friendly pace. While I do not take the time to break-down the technique for each pose, the practice moves slow enough for it to be accessible for all levels. The intention behind this practice is presence. Can we move slowly and intentionally, and perhaps find something new in ourselves and/or our practice, even if the movements feel simple? Can we give ourselves permission to be creative, and allow the basics to inspire us to take our practices somewhere new, even if the transitions and postures you’re called to take aren’t suggested by me? Can we also give ourselves permission to modify the postures that feel inaccessible, and allow our best efforts in this moment to be enough? Whether you’re brand new to yoga or you’re an experienced practitioner, I invite you to find challenge, curiosity and play in this flow!

With all of that being said, let’s talk about the physical benefits of this practice! As always, we will cover the 7 movements of the spine and begin the practice working to integrate our breath with our movements, and engage the core (our foundation for all movements). As we continue to elevate the heart rate through repetitive movements, the Sun A’s and Sun B will challenge your breath endurance, and help you to build some internal heat in the body so that you will feel ready to flow once we reach the peak of our practice. The peak part of the flow will not only challenge your quads and glutes, but it will sneakily challenge your core as well. In addition to building strength, peak postures will help you to increase your spinal and hip joint mobility, and find release in your hamstrings and back. Our practice will begin its descent down from the peak with a balancing sequence that will incorporate more mobility work, and we land this flow back down on the mat with some seated/reclined stretches that will challenge your flexibility (and hopefully leave you feeling released). 

Enjoy your practice, and take the time to make it your own! I hope this workout leaves you feeling strong, open and rejuvenated!