Posted in: FB Team / FB Team Posts

Resetting Habits

Good morning FB Family, how is everyone today?

I've just finished eating a late breakfast and now I'm getting ready for some video editing. I'm not feeling so hot this morning as I'm in a bit of an interstitial cystitis flare, so this is the perfect low lift/low stress project for me today. Honestly I might call it a short day for a nap on the couch at some point.

I could feel frustrated but this morning I'm feeling more honest and aware of the things that I could probably be doing to better help myself out. Instead of beating myself up, I've done a little reflection on my current habits, and thought about the things I can change to help myself feel better. Even when I feel like garbage, this gives me something to focus on and it makes me feel optimistic and more patient.

Most of my triggers aren't necessarily certain foods or liquids but sustained high stress - this has always been my biggest trigger. I have been struggling to implement much proactive stress management lately and I dropped a lot of my small but impactful self care routines. My structured workouts have fallen off the map in the last couple weeks and were even a bit hit and miss before that, too. I have also been eating in a way that I know really isn't going to help me feel that great.

Is my weight going up? Not sure. Does my body look any different? Not sure. Do I care about either of these things? Nope not at all. Am I very much feeling the impact of poor nutrition, lack of structured workouts and over stressing? Oh yeah. Mentally and physically. And *this* factor is the one that impacts my entire quality of life.

So I made and enjoyed a breakfast that I know is more in line with supporting feeling better. I'm treating myself to rest today but I might do some really light physical therapy/mobility work later, and I have an eye on returning to my workouts in the mornings, so I can set myself up to feel better and have more energy through the whole day. I'm going to make sure I save time for breath work most days; usually a minute or two a few times a day of deep belly breaths with a long exhale, directed at increasing vagal tone - this has played a huge role in pain management for me. Maybe start reading, writing and/or drawing again, for stress relief.

I have a plan. And having a loose, approachable plan quiets the nervous, impatient, "But I want to feel better RIGHT NOW!!" part of my brain. I don't have a timeline or goal date to feel better. No metrics. Just focusing on the day to day choices I can make to set myself up for feeling better, one choice at a time.

For years I've been meaning to write about how I navigate IC - how and when/if I exercise with interstitial cystitis (depends on the severity of the flare), what my flare-safe foods or typical triggers are, etc. We're all different but I know there are a few of us in this community that live with it and whether you struggle with this or something else, it's always good to know you're not alone, and some of the tips can be applied to any longterm condition.

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation - in a long consecutive line of less than ideal habits/choices, or not feeling so hot - what are your tips and tricks to helping yourself get back on track, mentally and physically?

Thanks for reading my ramble. Have a good day!

Kelli