Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New FB Plus Video: Gentle Yoga Flow for Low-Back Pain Release

Release your lower back tension and pain with this gentle slow-flow!

Gentle Yoga Flow: Low-Back Pain Release

Since I’ve been in this long and continuous process of recovering my lower-back, I have found it extremely helpful to take slow + gentle movements to relieve any stiffness–especially after I first wake up or have been sitting for a while. This practice includes many of the movements that I like to take in my personal practice, and you’ll notice that I especially like to focus on actively stretching my hamstrings and glutes. This is because I have found in my body that these areas tend to hold a lot of tension that ends up tugging unnecessarily on my low-back. When I release these surrounding and supportive areas, I release much of the tension/pain in my low-back. 

Workout Notes: 

• This video is not intended to cure any low back issues or completely dissolve chronic pain. If you have injuries in your back, please be gentle with your body and only take movements that serve you. I am not a doctor, so if you have questions about what movements will best serve you, please consult a medical professional. 
  • When you are taking the active hamstring stretch, be sure to only fold as low as your belly to hip/quad connection allows. The goal is not to fold as deep as possible + round the upper back; the goal is to stretch the hamstrings without tugging on the lower back, by keeping the engagement between the belly and hip/quad, the foot flexed and the chest/gaze lifted. 

I hope you find some release with this practice, and feel free to let me know in the comments below what other areas of the body you would like to focus on! 

Marina