Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

Jackfruit? Suggestion for recipes

I just tried jackfruit for the first time and it was great! Jackfruit is a common Asian fruit that shreds easily when unripe. I learned of it recently when reading some vegan recipes (I’m not vegan, just trying to cut back on animal products!) I’m interested in learning more about its nutritional benefits and sustainability.

It’s trendy right now to use jackfruit as a meat substitute, and that’s how I used it tonight. I put it in a vegan chili. I tasted it before adding - it literally had no taste, like tofu or water. It’s texture was softer than meat. I did not like it by its self even after I tried flavoring it. BUT - when I put it in my chili, it was awesome! It was filling, looked just like meat, and blended in with the other flavors. The kids ate a lot of it. They said they didn’t even notice it, but I did notice they ate more than usual. The whole dinner was a hit because of how plant-based it was. Just beans, seasoning, veggies and jackfruit.

So, now I’m obsessed with jackfruit. If FB could add some jackfruit content, I’d be so happy. Just a suggestion!

Also, if you have good jackfruit recipes, let me know!