To skip or not skip a workout 🧐

Good morning FB Family!

How is everyone today? Are you finding time for exercise this week? I hope that you are making time for yourselves and treating yourselves well.

Today I am feeling quite sluggish. Slug like, if you will πŸ™‚ Today is an opportunity for me to film a new workout; quite an intimidating time to feel a bit sluggish. In my waffling back-and-forth this morning, trying to decide whether or not to do a workout, I thought I would share my thought process when trying to make this decision for myself. Here are the things that I consider when deciding to take an extra rest day or go ahead and push through in order to get a workout in.

When was the last time I worked out?
This for me is usually the most helpful question. If I haven’t worked out in four days or more, the reason I’m feeling sluggish probably at least partially comes down to having skipped said workouts. If I worked out yesterday and I feel very tired, sore or sluggish today, I will without a doubt skip a workout if I feel I need to, without even an ounce of guilt.

Am I feeling generally unmotivated, or sick, injured, truly tired?
Sometimes, rest is truly the nicest thing we can do for ourselves, as can be the case with injury, illness, etc. A lack of motivation is something we can safely push through, a real need for real rest is not something I would encourage anyone to push through.

Do I need to take the day off, or scale down my workout intensity?
Just because we don’t feel up to the intense strength or HIIT workout that we had lined up for ourselves, does not mean that we can’t treat ourselves to light movement. I have even (thankfully) had success managing chronic pain with light movement. These can be great times to focus on mobility, building a strong foundation, flexibility, fascia work (foam rolling or massage), etc.

Check in with your gut; what choice would be most nourishing for you, right now?
Be honest, and think in terms of the next hour, as well as the next week; is rest or activity a better way to honor your needs today? Meet yourself exactly where you’re at, today.

For me, today, I am going to proceed with getting ready to do a strength workout, in front of the camera no less. If at some point over the next couple hours of prep, I get a real strong signal that maybe this is not the best thing for me today, I will reassess and adjust to better meet my needs. No failure in adapting!

I would love to hear how you all navigate and make these decisions for yourselves; feel free to weigh in & share.

Once I’m done with filming over the next couple of days, I’ll finally get to turn my attention to the last week of Fit 30. Excited for that.

I’ll report back here once I’m done filming to let you know how today went! I hope that you are having a good day and a great week! Good luck with your own workouts ☺️

Kelli

*edited to add a pic of taking cover photos for Daniel, getting ready to hit record myself 😁

Edited