R

Finally understanding how to workout with Rheumatoid Arthritis

Hi everyone,

I've posted a few times on here asking for advice on how to workout with Rheumatoid Arthritis. This is a new diagnosis so I've only started treatment about 5 months ago. It's a really awful disease. I'm in my late 20s but feel 80. My joints ache and crack, I'm fatigued, brain fog and just feel really blah. Not to mention the medication comes with some horrible side effects.

I've been wanting to get back into exercise for a while. I haven't really exercised properly for about 2 years. But I've read about how exercise can help with RA symptoms so I really wanted to give it a good try. Plus, I wanted to feel somewhat normal again.

It was pretty rocky at first. Because my joints are always aching, it's hard to tell when I'm pushing myself too much. But because I'm also always fatigued, it's hard to know when I should push through or rest. Then there's the difficulty of finding how to do things differently so my knees, feet and hands don't suffer. I never appreciated how easy it is to do a lunge, do a push up or even just get up off the floor until my joints became weak and cracked all the time.

But with some trial and error, I finally figured out what works best for me. I do mainly low impact workouts with a little strength training. I can't do lunges just yet and definitely can't do burpees but I'm finally able to do a squat. And I've learnt that I need to do a very long warm up and cardio before doing any strength training so my joints are fully warmed up and lubricated. My endurance is increasing and I'm getting stronger already. But more importantly, my joints are less painful and I have a little more energy.

I've also learnt the importance of listening to your body. Sometimes I need only 1 day break between workouts and other times I need 3 days break - and that's ok! My body has taken a big hit with this RA so I have to be kind to it and remember, just like Kelli says, this is a marathon. Plus, I've realised how easier exercising is when I get enough rest.

Getting diagnosed with RA was one of the worst moments of my life. I cried for days. Even now I get a little upset sometimes. But seeing my progress with exercising has given me so much hope. I know my body will never be like it was 5 years ago, but knowing that I can still live a healthy and active life makes me very happy.

At the start of my treatment, I was in a wheelchair because I could not walk. And now here I am doing 30 minute workouts 3 or 4 times a week.

I really hope that this post gives some hope to anyone else who has RA and is also worried about their future. Everyone is different and RA affects everyone differently. Hang in there and be patient and always listen to your body. It might seem like all is lost now, but trust when I say that there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Renee x