Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New FB Plus Workout: Quick Core Blast Yoga Power Flow

This quick core blast power flow (if you choose to take this practice when you arise from your slumber) will wake you up and get you going! These movements are mostly foundational, but will certainly pack the heat and hopefully leave you feeling energized and supported through your entire core. Modifications for some of the harder movements are available, but if there’s any movement that doesn’t serve you, you can always find a static hold in the movement—you will still build strength here—or you can skip that particular exercise altogether. 

Quick Core Blast Yoga Power Flow

Some things I want to mention about particular movements I called/tools I used: 

• If you are struggling to find your core engagement at the beginning of the practice, I highly recommend using a pair of yoga blocks underneath the wrists in your table-top cat/cows as well as in down-dog. The more you can press through the heels of your hands into those blocks (as well as the tops of your feet into the mat), the more your core will want to contract and you will feel the hug of your lower belly as your upper back rounds and shoulder blades spread apart. If I’m just having an off-day where it takes my core a little longer to warm up, I also like to use my blocks for a little added support under my hands in down-dog. The blocks are great here if you’re looking for some wrist support as well. Double duty! 
  • For the forward folds at the end of our practice, only go as low as you can with your chest lifted. Try not to round the spine as you fold forward, we want to actively stretch the hamstrings, so finding that engagement of lower belly to hips is important before allowing your neck and head to release. You may not go down as far at first, but hey, quality over quantity! 

Thank you for taking the time to read these little workout blurbs! The last thing that I would like to say, is I used to do core work like a maniac because I wanted my belly to look a certain way. I have long since let go of that attachment, and now I do core work because I understand how my core is essential to any movement I take, and moving from a place of strength and support is vital to healthy, long-term movement. So, wherever you are in your self-love journey, fat-spotting is a myth and your belly is already PERFECT. <3