A lovely walk seeped in history… #plentyofsteps✅

Just wanted to share my lovely walk of today….

Over the past four years we have done more than 10 nature conservation tasks around Corfe Castle (in Dorset, south UK). But we had never visited the actual castle. So today we decided to “be tourists” and visit it.

It is not an actual castle, but a castle ruin. It has a very interesting history, dating back to 1086 when William the Conqueror built the raised mound as well as the first wooden keep. After that many owners changed parts and added parts to it. It was a flourishing castle and village until 2 sieges led to the end of it in 1646. The castle was slighted (rendered useless on purpose) shortly after that and the ruins returned to its last owner.

It now stands on its mound and can be seen from quite a distance away. We walked all around the ruins, then over to one of the hilltops across from it to have our lunch. There we got some beautiful views of the castle as well as the surrounding hills.

If you would like to read more about its interesting history:

https://www.historyhit.com/locations/corfe-castle/

Unfortunately it won’t let me upload a collage I had made, so I have added some in the replies.

Edited