O
Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Thoughts on total body workouts please

Hi all,

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

I’ve been working out with FB consistently for two years now doing 5 days a week with one active rest day as most of the programmes are laid out. Over the last few months I’ve been struggling with this. My recovery time has been longer, I’ve had joint pain and just felt really tired and in all honestly some workouts have felt more like a punishment.

I’m wondering whether I should try 3 days a week for a bit rather than 5. This for me is a huge mindset shift that I’m really struggling with. I know that more is not necessarily more but I am one that is far more inclined to go over than under on stuff and I’m worried if I move to 3 days I won’t make any progress or gains.

I am also wondering about total body workouts in general…I’ve never liked them that much when they’ve come up in programmes for the reason a lot of people say which is weight is good for upper body but not enough for lower body on certain compound moves. So I don’t know how to make this work while still progressing with my lower body.

I have been in a major plateau for a while now and I know something needs to change. The reality is though my body is suffering doing 5 days at the moment (I don’t know if it’s random or something to do with age?!) and I’m aching like an old women half the time! Wondering if less workouts and longer recovery time would help shift this a bit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on getting over the mindset shift to less workouts, if you’ve done it how it’s affected your progress doing less workouts + longer recovery and how I can make total body workouts work for both upper and lower body?

Thanks for reading all.

Would be really interested to hear your thoughts. I feel like if I’m not doing 5 workouts a week I’m not doing enough and failing so I really need some input with this!