How my seemingly unrelated hobby actually relates back to exercise and fitness.

Yes, that is a sword in the picture. One of the two in my collection currently that is functional and real. The purpose of that blade is recreation and sports only, mainly in the form of cutting rolled newspaper targets I make, lol.

So how does a SWORD relate back to fitness? Well, dear reader, I shall elaborate on my eccentric claim. Frankly, usage of it is a full body exercise.

A proper hewing cut uses the same mechanics as any other sport where you're generating power through your body. It starts at the feet, up the legs, through the hips, and the core is involved too.

There are also many movement drills you can do as a martial artist or just for fun as an enthusiast from Historic European Martial Arts and surviving historical sources. Though, I do these with a blunt trainer for safety, lol.

This particular sharp is also my favorite forearm workout! At 2lbs and 15oz, or 1.3kg, it is light and responsive. However held at arms length whilst flexing your wrist forward and back, your forearm will feel the burn quickly. It's a classic swordsman exercise made to build up your wrists and forearms.

While we thankfully no longer have to use these things for their historic purpose, building up your conditioning of wrists and forearms is of course useful for modern, peaceful exercise.

Modern martial arts are fun, effective exercise. Especially when combined with smart strength training and diet. This is no different, and just goes to show ANY hobby that gets you up and moving can be beneficial exercise, especially if you enjoy it.

Want to see what it's like? Get yourself something around 36 inches long and around 2 pounds, hold it out at arms length in front of yourself in a vertical grip, and very slowly flex your wrist forward and back. It won't take long to feel your forearms working, even if they're quite strong!

Do you have any athletic or physical things you do outside of dedicated exercise? And what do you think of my forearm exercise tool? Lol.