Family Update!

So, I always like updating my friends on here about my progress with getting my family to prioritize health. In case you don’t know me, I have four kids ages 5, 13, 15, and 18. All three teenagers have depression and anxiety and it’s been so hard watching them lack energy to live their lives!

My 5 year old is so easy to get to exercise, because he’s still a silly little kid! I had a lot of fun yesterday with him. We went to a rock climbing gym and climbed together. It’s a kid’s gym but there is plenty to challenge adults. He said he wants to have more “mommy/son” days where we go rock climbing. I felt so strong and powerful, climbing all those things!

My 13 year old really struggled over winter break. She mostly stayed alone in her dark room. She did, however, get a burst of energy yesterday. She rode her bike to the store, baked a cake with the 5 year old, then asked to workout with me. We did Kelli’s newest workout video, since it would be easy for her. My 5 year old decided to join!

My 15 year old seems to be having a hard time with anxiety, but she’s doing better. She joined Color Guard (which in case you don’t know, involves dancing with flags and throwing them.) She LOVES it and it’s great exercise. The only problem is that during unstructured days, like winter break, she still has a very real addiction to her phone. I can tell she doesn’t feel good about herself. So that’s struggle, but I’m thankful that she stays so busy during the school year. I feel a lot better about how things are going with her!

My 18 year old is the hardest to motivate. She says she’s doing really well with her mental health, but she still spends all day in bed. She does have a job but it’s only 3 days a week. She does online college as well and that’s going ok. But we need to have higher expectations for her. So my husband and I decided that she’s going to be expected to help him more with outside work (shoveling and yard work.) That way she’s up and about everyday instead of just her work days.

That’s about it! I do think that things are looking up for our family. I think it was really helpful that we stepped back and let go of our control over them. As long as they: do well in school, follow the house rules, do chores, and have lots of after school activities, then we are letting them do whatever they want. It’s painful to watch them stay in their rooms all day over winter break, but all three have been saying things like, “I need to get up and workout!” So I think the fact that they are feeling their own natural consequences is helpful!