2 Week Daily Expert Article Challenge - Check-in!

Hope your week is ending well. Today is a holiday here, so it was not easy to get motivated to workout this morning, but once going, it became much easier. ;)

I chose this article today, "3 Benefits of Mindful Eating," as a follow-up to the earlier article I read about the measurable benefits of mindfulness/meditation: https://www.fitnessblender.com/articles/3-benefits-of-mindful-eating

Candice's article focuses on eating mindfully, something which I've been trying to do for quite a while, but haven't been very successful since I love to read books while eating as a way to relax the mind. ;)

Besides the more obvious benefits of having a better feel for hunger/satiety cues by eating mindfully, the fact that mindful eating is mono-tasking rather than multi-tasking automatically reduces the body's stress levels - which is not only great for overall health, but also helps the body to properly digest food as well.

One interesting thing to note is that smell and salivation are part of the body's digestive process - preparing the body to digest the food that's coming. Chewing is also part of the digestive process - which can easily be skimped on if one waits too long between meals and feels too ravenous to eat slowly enough (often guilty! ;) ).

One thought that came to mind while reading this article is that mindful eating can be a very simple, non-intimidating way to practice mindfulness in general. Those 13 minutes of mindfulness per day which were recommended in the previous article about the benefits of mindfulness could easily be acheived in 1 mindfully eaten meal per day w/o having to do anything special.

Now, that's food for thought! :)

What interesting article did you read today? Anything new or practical you can apply to daily life?