Fish lover's super healthy fish soup

Any fish fans out there? Me me me 👋🏼 Fish is my favourite source of protein and I will gladly choose it each time over other animal proteins.

I wanted to share one of my favourite recipes and it also happens to be incredibly good for you. If you're Scottish or have resided in Scotland (like myself, for the past 10 years in fact) you may have heard of 'cullen skink'. It's a haddock, potato and onion soup with a milky stock. It originates from Cullen in Moray, on the northeast coast of Scotland. I've made it a few times now and could empty the entire pan each time so thought I'd share!

You only need a couple of ingredients and these amounts make two hearty portions:

250g of smoked haddock (I'm sure cod or other white fish would work too, make sure it's smoked though)

400g of potatoes, diced

One medium onion chopped to your preferred size

250ml whole milk

1 tsp of unsalted butter for frying onions in

Parsley or chives for garnish

Peel and dice potatoes and onion. Fry the onion until translucent but not brown in the butter. Add potatoes and approximately 300ml of water (enough so everything is covered) and boil gently until potatoes are just about cooked.

In a separate pan, cover the smoked haddock in milk and bring to a gentle boil. Cook until the fish falls apart and remove from the pan. Keep the milk. Wait until the fish is cool enough to touch and flake it, checking for bones.

Tip the flaked fish into the potatoes and onion together with the milk. Cook for another 5 mins or until potatoes are cooked. Season and serve with garnish and your favourites bread. Delicious and so light!

Now please share your favourite fish recipes! 🐟

Edited