A

Weekend Check-In: Saturday, December 4th 👻

Good morning, Blendies, I hope I won't be interfering with Jacqueline or Shabnam, who also planned to ghost this weekend, because I couldn't check with you all due to yesterday's site maintenance (with great updates again!). I apologise for any confusion, and as part of the Dutch ghosting duo, I welcome you all on this first Saturday of December. In the Netherlands, tomorrow it's Sinterklaas, a kid's holiday featuring an old guy with a beard, a red dress bringing lots of presents to the kids, like Santa, but a few weeks earlier. This holiday is accompanied by treats like 'pepernoten' (small gingerbread cookies, to be eaten one handful after another), gingerbread men, 'speculaas' (ginger cookies; the best are the big ones filled with almond paste) and chocolate letters. I won't be celebrating any holiday this month, but I'm sure many of you will enjoy this time of year. What's your favorite holiday in your part of the world? Does it come with food that's unique for your part of the world?

Today's food, for me, will be the normal stuff: an oatmeal breakfast (just finished it) and some PB sandwiches later, if it stays dry outside, hopefully in a packed lunch on a walk. What will come out of your kitchens (or someone else's, if you're eating out) today?

And then, there are workouts to talk about. What will you be doing today, when it comes to activities? Exercising or not, resting, working, or something else? Faithfully following a FB program, or freestyling and combining workouts with some sport of your choice?

If everything goes according to plan, I'll start week 3 of Blend today, with a total body/HIIT workout. I haven't been very consistent with my workouts, these past few weeks. The weather is dull, cold and wet, and December holidays make me feel sad, so mentally, I'm a little wobbly. I have PTSD, and I tried to avoid this topic during ghosting so far, but I know December is a month that can be difficult for other Blenders too. Life comes with times that you're struggling, so I thought I'd talk with you guys about mental health issues. Whether you're struggling during the holidays or not, my optional question today is how you deal with episodes when you're feeling less motivated to work out, when you're depressed or anxious, or when other mental issues are messing with your brain. I often read on this website how exercising helps, but in some cases, it doesn't. My disorder comes with dissociative episodes, and I've learned I'm more prone to those when practicing yoga and pilates, or trying to blow off some steam with kickboxing. The brain is a weird organ. So back to the optional question: what works and doesn't work for you, when you're feeling down?

At the end of today's check-in, it's time to go back to something more cheerful: today's photo. This group of flamingos breeds in Germany, but spends every winter in the Netherlands. Normally, they flock together at the center of a big lake, hardly visible, but because of the strong wind and the cold, they moved closer to the bank from which I took this picture. With those flamingos around, there is plenty of color to brighten up a dull day!

Thank you for checking in with me, and I wish you all a happy Saturday!

***Note: These Daily Check-in posts are open to anyone and everyone who wishes to participate! All are welcome here! These check-ins are a way to stay motivated, accountable, and be supported as we all try to be our healthiest selves. Feel free to pop in and say 'hi' anytime, and post as much or as little as you wish! No prerequisites here! Feel free to add photos if you want as well! Whether you need advice about working out/eating well/life in general, just want to comment, or maybe need support during a hardship--we're here for you! So: Welcome to the FB Family, and to the Daily Check-ins! We appreciate you being here!***

Edited