A

A Reflection Chat; life is overwhelming!

Hi everyone,

This morning I started my day with a 26 minute bodyweight cardio workout (the one where Kelli is wonderfully sporting a full pink outfit, which I love) and then before the cool down, a quick 10 minute lower body strength video (I replaced the weights with a resistance band).

I've not been great with working out lately, and today I finally took action to pull myself out of a slump that I've been in for a while. Life has been a bit hectic, so I'm taking a few minutes this morning to reflect.

I moved back to uni in September and have forgotten how busy everything is. Here in the UK everything is 'back to normal' now (even though covid cases are still extremely high) and so the uni social life is also back. In the pandemic there were notions of 'self care', enjoying the nights in, and mantras to say no to social obligations and put yourself first once restrictions eased. But that hasn't been the case at all. I've been feeling very overwhelmed with the constant plans and my whole week being taken up before I've even had the chance to think of what I want to do. I'm grateful to have friends here, since I know uni can be a lonely experience for a lot of people, but the switch from no plans and an excess of time to plans everyday of the week and a drastic change in lifestyle has been quite a shock to the system.

So, from now on I'm going to remember the things that make me happy. Like taking the time in the day to workout. I can't explain how drastically it improves my day and helps my mental health. As well as remembering the hobbies I enjoy doing by myself, like painting and swimming. I think I changed a lot in the year and a half we were under lockdown restrictions. I'm not really a fan of going out and drinking anymore, while it can be fun, the consequences and tiredness the next day have a prolonging effect on my week and so from now on I'm going to put myself first and only do that when I really want to, and not just because everyone else is going.

Thanks for reading my little ramble. Has anyone else (those who are lucky enough not still to be in restrictions!) experienced this? The dramatic switch from no social life to too much. And the forgetting of 'it's okay to say no to plans'.

As always, stay safe and I hope you have a great day.