Posted in: FB Team / FB Team Posts

I fall down, I get back up

Hello FB family! I’ve missed you. I had planned to spend a lot of time in the Community last month but October was tough. I started off feeling motivated and strong, but was quickly met with curveballs. At the beginning of the month I got really sick. I took tests to be sure, but it wasn’t Covid (Daniel & I have ((sadly)) had zero face to face contact with anyone for months because cases are very high in our area, and hospitals are overwhelmed. It’s not fun but it’s also a privilege to be able to stay at home during a pandemic).

By the time that started to settle, it had already set off a flare of my usually latent but chronic conditions & I’m just now starting to feel like myself again, between the physical discomfort and depression that often comes with it.

Once I was able, I started thinking of an approach to get myself back on track physically, safely. I don’t mean back on track for scale weight or muscle tone or anything like that. I mean that with too long of periods of being totally inactive, I have increases in pain, and “sprains” and strains, weaknesses & imbalances start showing up out of seemingly nowhere.

When facing what feels like a bleak situation beyond my control, making a plan helps me feel more optimistic (natural pessimist over here 🤨). I’ve had to do this over and over (and over) again for the last 4 years so I thought I would share how I get back into exercise after a setback or sedentary spell. I've shared stuff like this before but I keep learning, so I'll keep sharing.

Once I feel up to it, I start working out very lightly, almost every day. I focus on the fundamentals, feel good stretching and my physical therapy exercises (you’ll find a lot of them in my Pilates routines). I start very light and slow, in order to prepare my body to be able to go back into more intense activity by the time I’m feeling stronger.

From there I gradually step up my exertion, slowly adding length, intensity, higher impact exercises, and weights for strength moves that I was previously practicing with only bodyweight. The trick is to add one of these things at a time, and again I’ll say the word “slowly”. It’s all about tuning into that constant feedback your body is so willing to provide. It’s also about realizing that there is no need to rush these things; ditch the concept of where you wish or think that you “should” be, and instead meet yourself exactly where you’re at.

I filmed yesterday for the first time in weeks. And because I focused on the “boring but important” things while I was on the mend, I was able to safely turn up the intensity now that I feel better.

I realize that over the last several years, a lot of my posts are about not feeling well and how I’ve gotten back on my feet. I usually feel a lot of hesitation around sharing these posts; I don’t want to dwell, I don’t want to depress, I don’t want to go on and on about myself and my struggles.

But then I do a double take on that hesitation; why should I hide out until I’m healthy? Why would I not be able to engage in a community that I love until I feel like my strongest, best self? Why should I work to create a façade of impeccable health and wellness when that is not the scenario that I am currently in at this stage of my life?

It wouldn’t be fair to imply that it’s all easy, or only show the highlights. I think that would contribute to the illusion that some hold, that fitness, health and wellness is only for the fit, healthy and well. That just isn't true. We don't need to hide ourselves away from the world and things that would bring us joy, until we are where we think we “should” be. We all deserve a place at the table, and to feel seen and heard in all of the different stages of our lives. Don't wait for things to be perfect - you, your health, your body, your financial situation, your education, etc; it's okay to share yourself with the world and the people you love while everything is a work in progress (saying this for myself as much as anyone reading).

This is a long ramble, with no real destination, so thank you for reading. I do have to say, building our team so that not everything on FB is dependent on myself and Daniel, has been huge. Often in the past 4 years, when struggling with what has at times been an invisible disability, I was preoccupied with the fear that FB would collapse because I wasn't physically capable of the things I was before. Fear is not a good thing for pain; it makes everything worse and can keep the pain cycle going. Now, aside from feeling like I could nearly burst at the seams with pride in the wonderful people on our team, I have the peace of mind that our team can also help meet the needs of our audience and FB Family. It has been a step that has made FB better, and our lives healthier and more balanced.

So, here I offer a dash of workout advice, 2 scoops of ramble, and a whole lot of gratitude.

Have a great day & I hope to be seeing you all here a lot more often,

Kelli