The only program that broke the spell.

I have always been a relatively healthy individual, usually at least semi-active and rarely had troubles keeping weight off. I never gained the "Freshman 15" (despite my less-than-ideal regimen of beer-pizza-beer-pizza-repeat) and even post-college had a pretty easy time keeping weight off. I was never a gym rat per se, but I would always find time, at least a couple days a week, to get moving.

About a year and a half ago, I switched the birth control I was taking for a plethora of reasons, and one of the unfortunately side effects was weight gain. Mind you, it wasn't anything overtly drastic, but for me I could feel a marked difference in the way my clothes fit and the way my body felt and both my energy and stamina tanked. Once the weight came, my confidence dropped and I started, what I now realize was, binge eating. I had an unhealthy focus on precisely what was going into my body and classifying every food as "good" and "bad", when I should have been looking at food as an energy source (or lack thereof). I also weighed myself all to frequently and would get discouraged if I "gained" a pound in a day (which is completely normal) and then self medicate my loathing with more food. In hindsight, I also realized that I was pushing my husband away during this time due to some level of depression. This slow but steady weight gain, unhealthy relationship with food and my own body, a lack of activity and regret for isolating my husband caught up with me and shortly after the beginning of 2018, after seeing pictures of myself from a weekend with friends, I decided that enough was enough. I didn't even recognize myself, inside and out.

So I started my first FB program two and a half months ago at the beginning of February. One of my best friends had recently taken her health into her own hands and has, to date, lost 100+ pounds! My dad had also taken charge of his health around the same time after experiencing debilitating spinal nerve pain and going through two spinal surgeries, and has lost almost 50 lbs. They have been a huge inspiration to me and knowing they did it gave me a huge boost; I could do it, too!

However, inspiration or not, it is EXTREMELY hard for me to get motivated to do things that I don't particularly want to do. Procrastination was my middle name in college (and may still be.. a little bit..). I had every intention of starting about a dozen different programs over the last year but never stuck to it. I would do a day or two and then get discouraged or try fad diets that had little impact on my overall health.

At the risk of sounding cliche, Fitness Blender was the only program that has totally kept my attention, so much so that I am on my third consecutive program! I cannot emphasize how much I appreciate the format and accessibility of these programs and, more so, the authenticity and relatability of its founders, Kelli and Daniel. Kelli always emphasizes turning on the tunes when going through their workout videos, but I actually find their dialogue quite motivating and endearing. Obviously they are in much better shape than I, but they are so down to earth it almost feels like they're in my living room with me every day after work. They, too, are human and they aren't afraid to show it (even THEY struggle with burpees during a HIIT routine!). I just started this third program and I am realizing how strong I really am and how much I LOVE my once-hated butt and thighs (squats for days!).

These programs just WORK. There are no fancy gimmicks, extraordinarily difficult routines or numbers to keep track of - it is made for the every day consumer, and for that I am incredibly grateful.

I have stopped weighing myself since starting these programs in order to develop a better relationship with my body. I have always known when I felt good in my skin but I let that get away from me in the past - it was time to start tuning in again. I have no idea if I've lost any weight but I will say my clothes are fitting my better and my body feels incredible. You know when you go over a bump in your car and parts of your body would "jiggle"? Yeah, that doesn't happen anymore. My husband has also commented that he can definitely tell a difference in the way I look and in my confidence levels. I actually enjoy coming home every day and spending 30-60 minutes in front of my TV with Kelli and/or Daniel. I actually enjoy working out now and the feeling of accomplishment it brings me.

THANK YOU, FB! You have instilled in me the motivation and confidence that I lost and thought I may never find again. You guys are awesome.