Yikes… what a challenge I set myself today!

Today I swam round “our” island: Brownsea Island in the UK where my husband and I do lots of volunteering. My biggest challenge ever!!!

The official swim is 6.4k. But because today was not the official organised swim, (when they stop the boats coming into the two piers for the start of the swim) ours was shorter as we had to get in beyond the 2 piers as too many boats come there at this time of the year. So hence not the “full” distance….But hey:

6.2k is still “a fair bit”!

My friend, who is also my swim(tor)mentor, and I swam and my husband was in a kayak as support crew with water and jellybeans for us!

Training had not been as much as I had hoped, because the weather has been pretty appalling, with too wild waves recently. Anyway, it’s a swim that has always seemed well-nigh impossible to me….

So what kept me going?

- K and D’s post the other week: “Think how good you’re gonna feel later!”

- the thought that my son would be so proud of me.

- thinking about how blessed I am that I can still do this at 64 years of age. No health problems, the fact that I happen to live here and can just cycle here and do this swim!

And now I can say: I DID IT!!! Wow, that feels so good! (In spite of very tired shoulders!)

Photos…. - top left: walking up to the starting point, - top right: our high fives at the finish and a very loud “we did it!!!”, - bottom left: getting in, - middle: the halfway point, - bottom right: the “home strait” with lots of swell and wash from the boats against…. In the replies an aerial photo of the island and our “route”… oh and two dolphins we saw before and after our swim.

Edited