Purrrrrspurrration Pals, today, 30 July

Hello possums! I am stepping in for your regularly scheduled check-in because it seems some folks need some entertainment, and they thought I'd be a good candidate to laugh at. So, let's start the checking in and giggle fest. How are youse all on this fine day? Any exciting plans, in the form of exercise or otherwise? Perhaps you have a pink cake to smear in your face and make all your problems disappear? I want to know what is in that kitty cat's cake. I assume it's not cake. Pile of cream cheese?

I thought maybe we could talk about the Olympics today. Did you know they are a great place to look for whale fossils? They also have a completely different geologic history from the Cascades. This matters if you are a geologist or going climbing. The rock in the Olympics is much crumblier. Why, what Olympics were you talking about? It wasn't the mountain range? See, I've made myself rather homesick with my silly pun. Change the subject!

How about those other Olympics? The sports ones. This is a fitness forum! Do you watch them? Are you a conscientious objector? Do you go from not giving a rip the whole rest of non-Olympics time to suddenly caring? The news here had headlines about some athlete I'd never heard of won gold in a sport I didn't know existed. Canoe slalom or something. But she was actually in a kayak. It looked fun, but I don't understand how anyone gets involved with such an activity. Especially in a country that doesn't have any rapids, except apparently fake rapids, which I had never heard of before. Maybe it's like indoor skiing. I used to watch the skiing, not because I cared about who won, but because I wanted to fantasise about going skiing.

The only sports (or TV generally) I watch is through my housemate - if she has the TV on, which is most of the time, it's harder to avoid. So the Olympics have been on in our house and one thing I noticed is that these athletes are all really fit. This provides a great opportunity for me to wonder why don't I look like that? All right, go work out for 6 hours and finish off the day with a nice carrot! No, that's not a good idea either! I look fine! These people are genetics freaks! No, that's not the right attitude either, they work hard and should be appreciated! I'll leave my housemate to watch the Olympics in peace and maybe I'll go read.

But what I ended up reading was an article suggesting that perhaps we should go back to the original Olympics and have everyone compete in their birthday suits. I thought this was a fantastic idea. These people are insanely fit and should take every opportunity to show off their hard work. Most of their outfits are so skin tight and skimpy that it wouldn't be much of a change anyway. Although it did raise a good point by pointing out we would need to restrict the games to over 18s, and that would send a lot of folks home. And some clothing is functional, like bras. I couldn't do much exercise without one of them. I also read about the German women's gymnastics team and how they are taking a stand against sexual abuse in their sport by wearing full length body suits instead of leotards with all their legs and half their crotch on display. I thought that was great! And less encouraging that no one else wanted to join them. I also thought it was fabulous that the Norwegian women's handball team wore shorts instead of bikini bottoms. And rather infuriating that they all got fines for being too covered up so spectators can not ogle at their rear ends. I hardly know what handball is, but now I know it's got a misogynist problem. But we are supposed to be comfortable with our bodies and not be so repressed that we have to cover them up! (Unless you are from a conservative culture, then it's ok to wear clothes.) Personally I would be pretty uncomfortable having to compete in a bikini, or a leotard, or anything else that doesn't leave much to the imagination. Which is why we should get rid of uniforms entirely and let everyone run nekkid. As long as it really is everyone, meaning men as well as the women.

Well folks, I think I'd better leave it there. If I'm going to get in these 6 hours of exercise today I'd better get started. Prepping for Brisbane 2032.

Edited