RECIPE: South Asian spiced fruit salad (chaat)

Hi everyone!

In the spirit of using spices to add flavor, I'd like to introduce those of you who are unfamiliar to chaat masala, one of my favorite spice mixtures. Chaat masala has salty, fruity, and tangy flavors rolled into one mixture. There are many brands out there, but I'm partial to Everest because that's what I grew up with.

You should easily be able to find chaat masala at any South Asian grocery store.

The most important thing to remember about chaat masala is that a little goes a long way, especially if this is a new addition to your palate!

Chaats (pronounced Ch-ahhh-ts) refer to a family of snacks or small meals served in South Asian countries. Many people have different versions of chaat recipes, but in general they include fresh vegetables or fruits, bits of crispy fried items typically made from chickpea flour, yogurt, and a few chutneys (like tamarind, mint, cilantro, etc).

Today's recipe is bit less involved but still very delicious. It's a spiced fruit salad. I make this often when I want a sweet and savory snack. You can use many different types of fresh fruits for this so please consider this recipe a guide. Mangoes and kiwis are my favorite :)

FRUIT CHAAT

1 banana, chopped into small pieces

2 strawberries, chopped into small pieces

1 small orange or tangerine, chopped into small pieces

1 peach, chopped (you guessed it!) into small pieces

2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves

1 generous pinch chaat masala

Instructions:

Toss all ingredients gently together in a bowl. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to allow flavors to combine. Enjoy :)

PS - chaat masala is really good on many other things. In my experience, I love mixing it with yogurt, sprinkling it on veggie based salads, or even on avocados. YUM!