RECIPE: Tabbouleh-ish ☺️

Good morning FB Fam!!

Today we have Tabbouleh-ish, a type of grain salad featuring cooked and roasted veggies, a whole grain, and a yummy lemon and herb vinegarette. Like a traditional tabbouleh, the bulk of the dish is comprised of veggies and herbs with a smattering of grains. Unlike a traditional tabbouleh, this recipe adds roasted cabbage and features wheat berries instead of bulgur wheat.

Hope you enjoy.

Ingredients

1 cup wheat berries, cooked (you can easily sub in brown rice, quinoa, oat groats, or couscous if you don't have wheat berries, but I love the chewy texture wheat berries provide)

1/2 head cabbage, shredded

2 tsp olive oil

1/2 tsp red chili flakes

Pinch of salt

1 cup tomatoes, chopped

1/2 medium cucumber, chopped

3 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp white wine or apple cider vinegar

1 lemon, juiced

1/2 bunch of chopped herbs (choose what you like! Cilantro, parsley, mint, and dill are all great choices. Measure with your heart!)

1. Pre heat oven to 425* or your air fryer for 400*.

2. Add 2 tsp olive oil, red chili flakes, and pinch of salt to shredded cabbage and mix well.

3. In a separate bowl, make your vinegarette by mixing 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp vinegar, lemon juice, and chopped herbs. Set it to the side.

4. Put your cabbage in the oven or air fryer. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway, until some if the cabbage is browned and beginning to char. If using an air fryer, air fry for 5 minutes.

5. In a big bowl, combine your wheat berries, tomatoes, cucumber, roasted cabbage, and vinegarette. Give it all a good mix and add salt and pepper to taste if you like.

6. Let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes if you have patience! The flavors develop over time.

I'm enjoying mine with a bit of whitefish and avocado added for protein and fats, but this recipe would also be a great side dish to any meal.

Edited