RECIPE: Pineapple Tofu with Rice and Broccoli

Hi all! Thanks so much for the positive feedback on last week's pea & basil soup recipe. I really appreciate it as well as y'all indulging my love for sharing recipes ☺️.

Here's another one for you today, a delicious pineapple and tofu recipe. This one is a mashup of Asian and Mexican flavors. It's more complicated than last week's soup but still a great 30ish minute meal.

Here we go!

Pineapple Tofu with Rice and Broccoli

Serves 2-3

Ingredients:

1.5 tbsp sugar + 1 tsp molasses OR 1.5 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp rice vinegar

2 tbsp soy sauce

Pinch of salt

1/2 tsp garlic powder

Pinch of cayenne

1/4 tsp black pepper

Juice from 20 oz can of pineapple chunks - save the chunks!

Pineapple chunks from that 20 oz can

1 tbsp cornstarch

1/2 medium onion, chopped

1/2 jalapeno, chopped (optional)

8 oz extra firm or firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cubed

Spray oil

1/2 cup uncooked rice of your choice

Broccoli spears (I use frozen for convenience but feel free to use fresh!)

1. Whisk first 8 ingredients in a bowl until well- combined. This is your marinade.

2. In a separate bowl, mix 2 tbsp of your marinade, chopped onion, chopped jalapeno, and pineapple chunks. Combine thoroughly. This is your salsa. Refrigerate this while you finish preparing this dish.

3. Cook rice according to package instructions. I use a rice cooker with 2.5:1 ratio of water to short grain brown rice.

4. While your rice is cooking, add your cubed tofu to the remaining marinade. Let it marinate for 15 minutes if you are in a rush, 30 minutes if you have the time.

5. In a pan, add spray oil and cubed, marinated tofu over medium heat. Do not throw away your marinade! We are going to use it soon. Allow tofu cubes to cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned. Remove from pan and keep in a nearby bowl.

6. Mix cornstarch with 1 tbsp water to create cornstarch slurry.

7. To the pan, add leftover marinade and cornstarch slurry and cook over medium heat until sauce bubbles and thickens.

8. Steam/cook your broccoli spears according to package instructions. I make mine in the microwave to keep things easy and quick.

9. Serve up! Over a bed of rice, enjoy your tofu, sauce, and salsa with broccoli spears.

Hope you enjoy this one, and as always, feel free to provide any feedback!

Edited