Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

Having trouble understanding concept of calorie deficit

Hi everyone! I'm on summer break currently and I decided what better time than to start working out. Now, I've tried working out several times before but I've never been consistent and always left it after a week, though this time I'm determined. I usually do 1000 jump ropes + a youtube ab workout video. Now, the problem's the diet. I try to eat less, or eat healthy, both of which are really hard since I'm Asian. In our house, healthy isn't much of an option so I decided to eat less, though, I wouldn't say I'm much successful at it. So, how do I *do* a calorie deficit? I don't know the calorie of my food since it's all home-cooked, and nor do I know the calories I'm burning. I'm afraid I'll work out regularly for 2 months but won't lose my weight, instead I'll just maintain it which will demotivate me. Any tips? Also, many sites say calorie deficit isn't helpful, many say it is. And I read somewhere that eating a few slices of bread gives you more calories than a 10-minute workout, and obviously, I can't survive on a few slices of bread. So I'm afraid I'm consuming more and burning less and I can't really find a solution to it. Any help will be appreciated, thank you!