Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

what are realistic expectations in weight loss/gain?

Good morning dear blenders (at least it's morning where I'm at, the "dear" part remains true everywhere 😉)

I'm mostly lurking here in the forum, and I've read a lot about gaining/losing weight goals, gaining weight when starting (back into) workouts due to muscle mass gain and water retention in the muscle when worked etc. Today I have some questions for that: what are realistic expectations when it comes to weight gain when starting back into working out after a longer workout break? How quickly will you build up muscle that you see on the scale, and how much of that weight is just water? And how much weight can you expect to "lose" (and what do you lose actually?) when going from 4-5 strength/hiit workouts a week to zero? Will there be much muscle mass loss in 1-2 months?

I know, the first advice regarding the scale is to throw it away, and I want to say here that I'm not worried about the numbers, I just use it as a rough guide. Since I have a thyroid dysfunction I want to have an eye on my weight to notice any unexpected weight loss or gain right away.

A little back story: I had to take a workout break for 1 month due to surgery, and during that time I lost quite a bit of weight (also bc of the thyroid dysfuction). After one month of only walking I started back into workouts, a little bit of strength, cardio, yoga/pilates, and increasing the intensity over time. I gained some weight back, and I'm curious to figure out how much comes from getting back in to workouts and how much from (hopefully) fixing the thyroid troubles and going back to a normal diet and eating to maintain or a little surplus.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it's not too confusing and that this topic is maybe interesting to some ☺️

Have an awesome day/a good night!