Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Pilates for my early 60's mom who suffers from hip/back pain?

Hello Fitnessblender Community!

I have a question. My mom (regular weight) is in her early 60's and has been having pain in her hip. She has also lower back pain regularly. She does not have a diagnosis and going to the doctor recently hasn't helped. They told her to come back if the pain got worse.

In terms of exercise we go for runs together twice a week and she walks/cycles now and then. Her job requires her to move often. She isn't acquainted with Fitnessblender workouts.

I have tried to get my mom to do some strenghtening workouts, or to try stretching to keep flexible, because I think it would benefit her. I haven't succeeded. However, since she has those issues with her hip and lower back, I wonder what kind of exercise would benefit her most. I don't want to talk her into anything that might worsen those pains and think that exercises like deadlifts or weighted squats aren't great for her.

I've been thinking that maybe pilates would be a good choice, but wanted to ask you if you have any experience with this. Do you suffer from hip/lower back pain, if so, what kind of workouts do you use?

(I understand that what might work for one person might not work for another, but any input is appreciated! I believe she has been to a physiotherapist before; I don't know if this is possible again right now. For me it's hard because I want her to stay in good shape and maybe get some pain relief, but I can't force her to exercise.)