A year of progress-ish :)

I’ve been working out with FB since August 2018. I used the workouts to supplement CrossFit workouts when I couldn’t make it to the gym, and have loved it ever since.

Since January 2020, I’ve completed 13 programs—well, I’m technically in the middle of my 13th (going through FB Mass again). I was thankfully able to purchase a pair of PowerBlocks in May of last year, and ever since have been focusing on lifting heavier—which I love to do.

So with almost a year of heavier lifting under my belt, I’ve definitely seen progress in strength. For example, I’ve gone from using 30lb dumbbells per hand for deadlifts to using 60lbs per hand (today, I used a barbell so I lifted 125lbs total for deadlifts). I’ve gone from 20lbs per hand for squats to 45lbs per hand for squats. 20lbs per hand for chest presses to 40lbs per hand for chest presses. And the list goes on. All that to say, that I’ve made some gains, and I’m proud of that.

But I admit I can get sad or frustrated from time to time that I don’t “look” different than I did a year ago. I read on here and in the comments about people doing one program and losing 10lbs or posting these incredible transformations. And here I am, a year later, and I largely look the same. My clothes fit the same (or tighter). I compare photos, and honestly, some previous photos look better 😅

I’ve never been chasing a scale number. I haven’t weighed myself in almost two years. I’m not overweight. And I’m not chasing skinny. But I guess there’s a little part of me that wants to SEE some results, ya know? 😊

I know it’s largely what you eat. I eat mostly a plant-based diet. Focus on whole foods. Drink tons of water. Haven’t had soda in years. Sleep 7-8 hours every night. Do what I can to regulate my hormones. Etc. etc. I don’t count calories, but I know I don’t eat more than I did before—and I try my best to eat mindfully and not “villainize” any food group (ie carbs).

And I know you have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. And I’ll probably have to do that eventually if I want to see more of these muscles I’ve grown.

But I also don’t ever want to be chained to measuring and counting. And I don’t want exercise to be reduced to how I look.

I am super stoked by the progress I’ve made. But also feel a little bummed. Feel like the exception to the rule. Like the exception to FBs promises of body changes. Like it “works” for everyone else, but not me.

So today I celebrate but also admit to feeling a little disappointed. But will also keep lifting and doing HIIT and Pilates and allll the things that I really do enjoy. And being thankful that I can do them. That I have a healthy body that can move heavy things around and run up stairs.

I’m still learning to be thankful for the genes I’ve got 💪🏽

And a gross sweaty post-workout photo 😆