Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

Food for thought feb 16th

Hi all! Julia asked me to start the thread today. My intention was to do it this morning, but I was very busy with workrelated stuff.. I am here now :)

I had thought of something I wanted to post about, and then this morning, when I did my workout (FB Low impact R2, day 16) there was a link to an article about eating clean on a budget: https://www.fitnessblender.com/articles/tips-for-healthy-eating-on-a-budget-how-to-make-clean-eating-cheaper

In it there is this line: "Get comfortable with cooking. We know it can be intimidating to start but you don't have to be a master chef in order to whip up something quick and healthy. Don't be afraid to start cooking."

I wondered about this before. Is it not common to know how to cook? Then I thought about what I sometimes read: that people feed their children at a certain time and then have dinner with their spouse.

So my question is: what is your "eating culture?".

Here in the Netherlands we have early dinners. It is changing, but when I was young, most people ate at around 17.30 (5.30 pm). We have dinner with the family and "je eet wat de pot schaft" (you eat what is put on the table). Dutch food is a bit boring: potatoes, veggies and a piece of meat is the regular type of meal, so we venture into different cuisines :) Though in winter I love my stamppot (mashed potatoe with veggies mashed through them), especially with raw andive.

Takeout is very expensive. One night of pizza, shoarma or Chinese can cost the same as 3 to 4 homecooked meals, so takeout is a treat and my family does that once or twice a month. Lunches at work / school are made at home as well for the same reason.

Curious to know: what does a normal week of food look like for you? Homecooked, prepackaged or takeout, and why? I love hearing the differences from different countries.