Hi! and some (or many) thoughts going into the new year

Hi guys!

How are you doing on these very first days of 2021?

I've been completely silent on here for the last few months, sorry for disappearing... I kind of fell off the workout wagon for a couple of months during the summer (I moved into a shared flat with a friend and it took some time organising all of that and then adjusting to my new lifestyle). I slowly started getting back into it in late October/November, and my motivation is now back, not quite on the same level as it used to be but we're getting there. Anyway, I thought I'd check in today to see what's going on in the community, wish everyone a happy new year and share my "plans" for 2021.

I've been thinking about what I want to do fitness-wise (and for my well-being in general) this year and I feel like writing it down somewhere would help me really committing to it. So here I am 😊

I've been getting into a daily morning yoga practice for the last month, and it is absolutely amazing. I feel so much better already, more stable emotionally and more energized throughout the day. So my first goal is to keep this new habit going for many more months and see what happens. I'm super excited about it. I'm currently doing the 30-day Breath journey with Adriene, are any other Blenders doing it?

In the FB world, I completed some of the Plus challenges as well as the Low Impact program during the past couple of months, and I began Bodyweight 2 this week. I thought it would be a nice companion to the Breath journey. I'm enjoying it so far but I have to say I really struggle with the cardio and hiit. I lost a lot of endurance during my break, but I know it will come back eventually 💪

I really want to (re?)build a strong fitness foundation (core strength and stability, better mind-muscle connection, decent endurance, etc.) and I think this yoga-bodyweight combo is a great place to start.

Lately, I've also realized that I have really tight hips and ankles and I'd like to work a bit on that. On the 1st of January, after completing my FB workout and a short yoga video, YouTube recommended a New Year Yin Yoga and Affirmations video to me (from Yoga with Kassandra, if anyone is interested). It piqued my curiosity and I clicked on it and... WOW! I loved it and hated it at the same time. The affirmations were really interesting and evocative. The poses were a bit painful (which made me realize just how incredibly tight my hips were) but so relaxing at the same time. It felt like it was exactly what I needed to work on flexibility. The Internet just helped me discover yet another very useful tool and I feel so grateful and happy about it. I'll try doing other yin yoga classes, maybe on my rest days.

Speaking of flexibility, I think this could be a theme in 2021 for me. I want to rebuild consistency but also flexibility in my workout routine, meaning being okay with modifying, rescheduling, letting other hobbies of mine (which I’ve rediscovered during my break from working out) take up my workout time if I really feel like that’s what I want in the moment, listening to my body and doing what it is asking for and what it needs, not planning too much in advance, etc.

Okay, I’ll stop rambling now, sorry for the long post and thank you to anyone who read even a small part of it.

I wish you all a happy, fulfilling, surprising year, full of discoveries, love, good sweat and satisfying muscle burn!

Edited