J

Workouts Without Shoes Has Lead to Injury

Hello Fellow Blenders!

I hope everyone is staying safe and well coming into the holiday season!

For nearly 10 years I have done my workouts barefoot. I never had an issue with it at all until last week! I was working at my desk and stood up and had an incredibly sharp shooting pain that began in my heel and went along the outside of my foot to just below my toe. I've never felt anything like it before. I iced it and wrapped my foot but I still couldn't put any weight on my heel at all.

The pain was incredible and kept me awake at night, because even with no weight on my foot there was still severe discomfort. I went to the doctor and got an x-ray. It turns out I have a heel spur. My doctor asked what type of shoe I use when I workout. I told him I workout barefoot. His response was shock (I guess this isn't common?), and said that the reason I have a spur is likely from doing workouts barefoot and causing irritation/damage to the bone in my heel resulting in a spur as the bone attempts to heal!

I loved doing workouts barefoot! Now I have really supportive athletic shoes and can only do very low impact workouts for the next 4 weeks.

I can slowly begin more HIIT type workouts after that to see how it feels. They are not removing the spur (yet, if it has a bigger impact moving forward, I will have to have a removal procedure), I just have to be careful going forward.

I would never wish this type of pain and immobility on ANYONE. If you do any kind of impact workouts without shoes, my biggest recommendation is to reconsider. The pain, immobility and downtime are not worth it.