Good weekend!

Hello all,

I have had a pretty good weekend with the kids so far (for those of you unfamiliar with my posts, I’m always on a mission to inspire my 3 teenage girls to get more active.) We went on a walk Friday night to get movie snacks, then had a pizza/movie night. I served steamed broccoli (their favorite veggie), cauliflower pizza, and fresh pineapple. I put it out as a “bar” (so they could chose what to eat and how much.) They actually ate all the broccoli before I could get any! Then on Saturday I had to go help clear out my father-in-law’s basement. It took all day, and the girls had to babysit my 4 year old. He’s the easiest kid in the world, so I knew it would be ok. I left them money to go on a walk with him to go get lunch.

My father-in-law gifted me his book collection. Hundreds of nice, collectible books. I was so excited! His interests are American Presidents and reading about war, so that made up about 50% of his collection. The rest was random books. I picked a box full of the ones I wanted, which were the classic novels. The rest we were going to sell, but at the last second, my husband got the idea to donate them. There is a tiny used bookstore near me that has been posting on Facebook about their financial struggles caused by Covid. We decided to just give him the books. He was floored! Just seeing the look on his face was worth it. He’s just a guy who wanted to spread the love of reading and opened his own small business. I’ve been on a mission to save all the small businesses in my town so it was worth it for me!

Then in the evening, went went for a car ride to look at Christmas lights. This is a tradition for us, and something I look forward to every year. My four year old was so excited! Suddenly (long story short) my 12 and 14 year old started getting really snotty about hating the experience. I over reacted and we had a fight and I sent everyone to their beds. Not over reacting is something I seriously need to work on. When they wake up, I plan to apologize, but explain that they hurt my feelings by complaining about a Christmas tradition that only takes about 30 mins out of their day. So hopefully that will be a good example for them about how to apologize, but maybe might help them understand my feelings better so they might be nicer next time.

Today I plan to go on a walk with them again to go back to the bookstore. He gave us a ton of in-store credit, so the kids can choose new books for themselves.

Thanks for reading, I really like posting updates on here because everyone is so encouraging!