M
Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Exercising with chronic pain/illness

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate your help. I'm very desperate.

I'm a 27 year old female. I have been with FB since they first started and I was so fit and healthy years ago. I used to weigh 55kg. Unfortunately though, I've had medical issues and have needed surgery (I've had 6 abdominal surgeries) and I now need another surgery which I'm booked in for next year and have to manage the pain for now. Every time I have a surgery, I recover for about 3 months then slowly get back into FB, and then end up getting setbacks (i.e. Another surgery, illness such as meningitis, etc.) and then I have to stop FB for a while. It's been this way for over 5 years now and is extremely frustrating.

I have gained weight and now weigh 67kg and I sometimes feel unfit too. But I can't exactly jump straight back into FB, I have to be careful so that I don't hurt myself or make my pain worse and then not be able to go to work.

I want to get fit and lose some weight, but I don't know how. And I'm really worried that by the time I get my surgery late next year, I'll weigh even more.

I know it's silly to stress over superficial things like my weight, but I feel so helpless. Plus, my family have been commenting on my weight gain; my tummy, chin, bum and upper arms. I've had to buy some new clothes.

If I was to do the super easy, gentle beginner workouts or even easy yoga/pilates, will that be enough to lose a little weight or stop me from gaining weight?

My health issue is nothing life threatening, and I am allowed to exercise.

I would really appreciate your advice. I have never felt so badly about myself as I do now and I just want to get fit again.

Thanks everyone :)